Saturday, December 28, 2013

Dos Scribblings Weekly: Using life in your writing

Hey everybody,

It's been a long-long time. But coming this new year I'll be blogging twice a week like I should be.

Anyway, what this post will be about is certainly a little more personal for me. The idea for this post came to me only a little while ago when I was chewing on some thoughts about what's been going on in my life lately. I will not go into to much detail, but it's been difficult and very frustrating dealing with these problems and not being able to do anything about it for fear of screwing up any chance I have. And then on the flip side of things I feel I'm being far to paranoid, and that I just need to knock it off, but then I begin wondering all over again and feeling depressed. As you can see what I'm going through is just one vicious cycle of nasty feelings. As are most things in life unfortunately.
But on a happier note I have been working hard on seeing that I really don't have anything to be that sad about. Sure, the things I'm dealing with right now are difficult and irritating, but I'm a very blessed girl and I have everything I could ever need right in front of me. I may want things, but that doesn't mean I don't have everything I need. That's something I feel God has been putting on my heart lately to grow as a person.



So as I listen to The Piano Guys on my iPod I'll get down to the point of this blog post. All of those feelings I expressed above the picture of the heart (Isn't it a cute heart by the way? I just love it!) I plan on using somehow in my writing. I give credit to the book "The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet" by Stephanie Morrill for making me realize how important that concept really is for any author.
The mentor character Bronte for the main character Ellie Sweet said something like "If someone hurt you Ellie, use it. Use your anger and put it in your writing. Don't dwell on it, just use it." This is the most useful advice to date that I've received from a book or anyone.
Even though I've done it unconsciously for years during my writing career (I don't know if I should call it that?) I've never actually read or heard someone tell me to do specifically that. When I was around 12 or 13 and trying desperately to find who I was, I expressed... age appropriate feelings for the time in my life I was going through in a very excited fashion. Was it good writing? No. But now that I know consciously that using life experiences in your stories can create life in a novel, I can use it to my advantage and craft better stories. Especially now that my writing has simply improved from when I was a pre-teen. (I'm now going to graduate High School in May 2014)
My advice to you: I don't care what it is in your life, whether it be happy experiences or absolutely heartbreaking experiences you must seize the opportunity and write it into one of your novels somehow. This is, after all, what makes us writers; painting on a blank canvas for the onlookers to see and be drawn into our world.
I don't know any of you personally, but for me, this is a way I deal with pain in my life. Writing gives me a way to vent out those experiences that leave me breathless with sadness or anger. Of course you do not have to stay 100% detailed to what you experienced, but to give the reader something so raw from your own soul (whether or not the reader actually knows it) makes the characters all that more real, and the world they live in very real. I can't stress that enough.

So: use your experiences to write. =)

On a last note, I probably won't post again until after the new year. Just to get a fresh start, so I bid thee goodbye.... for now.

Love,

Jazmine

No comments:

Post a Comment