Monday, December 30, 2013

Pens are like swords, and relationships are like glass...

If you are intrigued by the title, I'm glad, because that was the point. *chuckles*

Welcome to the book review for "The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet" the sequel to "The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet" by Stephanie Morrill. 

She has a pen for a sword... but what can she use for a shield?


I got this book for Christmas from good ol' Santa Claus. 
I'm not unfamiliar with this authors work (obviously, since I read the first book in this series), in fact I read her blog fairly often (Go Teen Writers), she's also partnered with Jill Williamson, the author of The Blood of Kings Trilogy and The Safe Lands, to write with her on the blog. 
I've also read the first book in Stephanie Morrills' other series "The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt". 

Moving on with the review, the opening certainly did not disappoint and I was hooked so well that I stayed up much later than I should with a flu flying about my home. Stephanie Morrill's book starts off at a steady incline to reach the climax of Ellie Sweet's story and leaves you with a satisfactory sigh by the end. From the very first sentences I enjoyed the comic sprinkled throughout it and the iron-clad strengthening in the personalities of the characters. In case those words are a little fuzzy... I'll elaborate:
What I mean by that is we see different sides and much more is revealed about the main characters during the time reading this book. Especially Ellie. A whole new batch of troubles is opened up for Ellie Sweet in this novel and being able to go through them with her so vividly because of Mrs. Morrill's steady hand in her craft makes it that much more enjoyable. 
Ellie Sweet's story contains everything you'd think would be happening in a teenage girls' life: high school drama, boys, schoolwork... the only huge difference is that she is on the verge of becoming a published author at the start of the book. And then perhaps that there is a love triangle weaved into her life story, which was actually established in the first book to begin with, but let's just say that the triangle is continued in this one - without giving to much away. 
Mrs. Morrill balances the elements of Ellie Sweet's writerly life without overdoing it, though I could be biased since I am a writer myself and I find things about it fascinating. And moving past that I think she handled the love triangle masterfully and definitely to her own style, she clearly avoided the cliche average formula for love triangles in many Young Author genre books nowadays. That's saying something coming from me, don't get me wrong, I love romance, but I can only read truly more original romance tales without cringing occasionally. Just because it's been done so many times.
But my favorite thing about this book (and the first book about Ellie Sweet) is how tasteful yet out in the open Mrs. Morrill tackles subjects like sex, beer, and drugs. She makes no clear effort to sugar coat it, and I really admire that, because after all; every high school girl comes across conversations like that. 
If I had one complaint/critique towards this book it would only be the way she cut the scenes and timeline. During my time reading it I feel like there was a 50/50 share of it being to slow, but then to fast at times. 

As I close this post I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. A job well done! =)

I look forward to buying the other books in the Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt series. ( And more books about Ellie Sweet? Please? No pressure of course haha :D )

Love

Jazmine

No comments:

Post a Comment