Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"The Realms Thereunder" by Ross Lawhead

"Uncover a land that has been hidden for over a thousand years.
Beneath the land of Britain, a great army is sleeping. On a visit to an old church, Daniel Tully and Freya Reynolds awaken two ancient knights from a centuries-old slumber. They are kidnapped and taken to an underground city that stands in peril, besieged in all directions by a vicious warhost. Nidergeard is the only thing protecting the upper world's blissful ignorance of mythical forces that have been held at bay since the creation of the world. In order to return home, Daniel and Freya must strike at the heart of the opposer's power.
Fast forward eight years. Daniel, now homeless, still wages what he believes to be a righteous war against those he judges to be evil. Freya has tried to put the past behind her and concentrate on getting an education, a job, and a life. When they reconnect in Oxford, unseen forces begin to ally against them. Daniel is pulled through a portal and into another world. Freya is abducted by someone—some thing—posing as her professor and drugged to keep her in a delusional state. After they finally break free, neither can deny the truth . . . they must return to Nidergeard and resume the battle.
With a thrilling narrative that draws heavily upon British mythology, The Realms Thereunder will quickly establish Ross Lawhead as a major new voice in fantasy."


This book was a little difficult to get into first of all, but it was an entertaining read with neat characters. I think I liked Daniel more than Freya though, Freya seemed a little psychotic but Daniel seemed like the cool one with awesome sword fighting skills.
I read another review that stated "It felt like he was trying to hard to make this book a bestseller." I regret agreeing with that statement. Like I said earlier, it was just a bit to hard to get myself absorbed in the story world.
I enjoyed the world of Nidergeard, it was a different kind of world. That's one thing I always enjoy about reading fantasy books; seeing what kind of world each author creates! :)

Anyway, the positive things I do have to say about the book is that I liked the way it was flashing back and forth, it gave a different perspective on things. I got to see little Daniel and Freya, and older Daniel and Freya.
The description was nice though his writing could use some work to be honest, I wish I could say I enjoyed this book thoroughly. But when I pick up a book and I don't get absorbed right away, that means I don't like it. If I really like something I'll finish it in 4 days flat.
Oh, one more thing I did like was the range of differences in Daniel and Freya's personality.
I'm sorry that I had to write a negative review, but I'll definitely see what is in store for Nidergeard in the next book if Ross Lawhead ever writes another one.

Thanks for reading. :)

~Jazmine

(Note: I am not obligated to write a positive review, only an honest one) 

Thanks to booksneeze.com for providing me with the an e-book copy for purely reviewing purposes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment