Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Secret Life: Earthquake!!!

DUDE! Yesterday was literally THE MOST scariest day of my life!

Yesterday; January 9, 2010 at 4:27 PM (Pacific time zone)
A 6.5 level earthquake hit about 20 miles off the coast of Northern California. Scary!!! DUDE that was such a shaker! You would not BELIEVE how bad it was...
No one in our vicinity got hurt badly that I know of, there were only knocked over bookshelves and a couple shattered windows here in Myrtletown.
A few things were knocked over in our house but nothing majorily bad... thankfully.
It was so freaky, after my fall off Lovie I was really sore all over yesterday so I just layed down on my mom and dads' bed and decided to have peace and quiet and just watch some TV, I started watching the end of "Groundhog day" and then suddenly as the main character Phil kissed his girlfriend there was a HUGE rumbling noise; half a second later the bed literally started rocking back and forth like I was in one of those rocking cribs.
And trust me, that bed doesn't move easily...
I froze solid not knowing what to do and thinking "wait, is this an earthquake?!" finally I knew it was an earthquake when the TV almost got knocked over on its side and went completely fuzzy like I had a bad connection.
If that's not scary I don't know what is!
My dad called my brothers and I outside so of course, I shot out the door like a rocket outside completely terrified.
It was shaking just as bad as it was outside! WOW
Biggest- and I mean BIGGEST- earthquake I've EVER experienced. I almost wanna say that this is the next worst one compared to the one that hit 50 somewhat years ago, completely destroyed Crescent City... it's about 3 hours north of my house I think.
It's the longest one I've ever seen too, the reason why I probably froze is that in the back of my head I thought it would end in a second but it didn't... it kept going...
Freakishly scary day...
Now the really funny thing is, you'd think a 6.5 would have a tsunami warning... nope... *rolls eyes*
And the reason I roll my eyes; a few years ago before I moved to Myrtletown I lived in Arcata and an extremely small earthquake that lasted about... a second... if that.
I barely felt it, but it was enough to get our attention. The house just wobbled a little and then it stopped, now the most stupid thing happened...
They actually put out a tsunami warning!
We watched in amusement as families around in our neighborhood started packing and took about... ehh... 10, 20 minutes to pack their cars and leave. Now if a REAL tsunami would have been coming... they would be dead.
My mom said not to worry, so I didn't. That is when we lived in the flatlands of Arcata, literally only a few miles from the bay. We could drive in 5 minutes or less and reach the bay, pretty easy.
It's just so dumb how that tiny 4. something earthquake back then got a tsunami warning and this one didn't, people were all waiting though I could tell. This one I will admit I was a little worried about, but I actually didn't even think about a tsunami until I was listening to the radio with my mom about 2 hours later... lol
They were still waiting for a tsunami! Come on!!
It would have gotten here within minutes, even SECONDS! It was only 20 miles off the shore... lol
Well anyway, I didn't witness some of the crazy events that happened yesterday but I heard OF them.
Everyone has their own story, but I got mine too.
Okay, first... my mom's story:
My mom was driving around town and suddenly the car started wiggling back and forth- hard- like she just ran over something and blew a tire. She thought exactly that, but she saw all the other cars doing the same thing so she pulled the car over and stayed IN The car like a smart person instead of the other people that kept on driving.
Suddenly she saw a couple of power lines snap across the street and then the building behind that start sparking,  I think she called 911... possibly. I'm pretty sure she did but she was pretty scared, she thought that building was gonna blow up.
Yesterday kind of reminds me of that movie "2012" lol. Except the ground didn't split open and create the second grand canyon within 3 minutes...
It was really hectic yesterday, which reminds me of one more thing that I heard from my friend Abby: The mall here, it has a ton of glass windows and its huge! Probably about as big as a Walmart in a big city or something like that...
But it has tons of awesome unique stores inside it :-) I've lived here all my life and there is SO many awesome stores that have so many neat and lovely little trinkets. Its really fun to go there with my friends just to hang out... :-D
But anyway, all the glass windows actually shattered!
Now the mall is closed and it has tons of gas leaks :-( I was thinkin' about maybe going there sometime this week... but that probably won't happen...:-/
Anyway, I gotta go its 8:20. And I think I'll work on a scene for my book I'm doing for school that I finished half way for tomorrow... ta ta! God bless... :-)

~Jazz

No comments:

Post a Comment